Greetings from a new TC1100 user. I bought a 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB HD model on eBay a few weeks ago and have had it for a couple of weeks now. I added an additional 512MB RAM (the seller on eBay upgraded the onboard memory for paying with "Buy it Now") and got a new battery. After having it for a few days, I noticed the internal 30GB Travelstar drive was pretty noisy. I replaced it with a 16GB 400x CompactFlash card and a CF-to-IDE adapter.

After the first couple of weeks, I tried out XP Tablet Edition, used the Win7 upgrade DVD that I own and tried out 7, and I was pretty impressed with the latter's support of the pen-based interface. But I'm a Linux guy first and foremost, so I went through various distros: Linux Mint 9 XFCE/Gnome, Linux Mint 12 LXDE, Ubuntu 11.10 w/Unity 2D and Gnome Shell in "Fallback" mode, OpenSUSE 12.1 in Gnome "Fallback" mode. I thought I'd found a winner with Debian Wheezy with MATE (the Gnome 2 fork), but I couldn't find a way to undervolt it at the moment (from what I can tell, the latest Linux kernel that supports undervolting is version 3.1, and Wheezy is using 3.2).

I decided to just do an install of Ubuntu 11.10 from scratch (using a netboot mini.iso), installed MATE, and an undervolting kernel from the Linux PHC PPA, got the kernel modules installed, and it runs pretty cool. It didn't even get above 49 C while building the Nvidia kernel modules. Right now, as I've been typing this, it's running at 43 C.

At any rate, just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the messages on this forum that helped me out while figuring this thing out!