Used Tablet PC
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bootblock BIOS Update Methodology

cnixon Guest

Default Bootblock BIOS Update Methodology

:D*****Updated - Bootblock bios update methodology finally solved,17th Jan 2006*****
    Hi, I was looking for some help with a little problem...
    I bad flashed this 2 year old notebook with the acer supplied programme (wflash I think) it is an executable with the rom/bin file embedded. I have now got a very expensive paperweight. I am fairly confident of a solution (which is not a new MB as ACER would have me believe). It has no floppy but it has a CD. Firstly does the boot-block (activated by SW2 under the keyboard) seek anything other than a floppy (CD?) and if not could this be an external USB floppy? This is the begging bit...I need the .bin ROM file, Acer cannot assist! Is there any brave soul who can make a copy from a C302 (C302XMi) or can the ROM file be extracted from the wflash programme.

Desperate...
    Craig

(Restored topic title - Steve S)

SW Guest

I so wish I read this before upgrading my tablet today - I am now the proud owner of a brick - my ACER C302XMi is only 18 months old - installed the latest ROM 1.13 - the ROM boots (via F2) but it just stops - like it no longer knows how to find the hard drive - does this make sense?

cnixon Guest

We have both got the same problem. I am not sure about 1.13. In the UK it is up to 1.08. I am about to try a recovery, but we need the latest bios .bin/ROM file. I just thought I would have a look to see if I had any posts. I will let you know how I get on.

Craig

cnixon Guest

Not too a good result! I purchased an Acer USB floppy because Phoenix state the boot block in the BIOS will support it. Inside under the keyboard is a double micro switch (SW2)if the switch numbered 2 is switched on it activates the boot block - keyboard fixed by a single screw from the back (with keyboard symbol) and 3 catches at the top adjacent to ESC, F4 and F12 which click towards the touch pad. On turn on the mail hotkey illuminates and the PC bleeps out the code for "you've messed about with your BIOS and now you've got brick/paperweight/table mat etc" the only way to stop the PC is by taking the battery out! Trying to be clever I used the USB floppy. It appears to check the floppy repeatedly but does not appear to read it. Acer post instructions for this step and state that all the floppy should have on is the bios file see http://support.acer-euro.com/documen...bootblock.html As I do not have the BIOS, see arlier post, I have got a BIOS file for a very similar machine with the same chipsets and graphics drivers (Gateway M275). Really Acer should support us with this especially seeing that the website details the solution. 'SW' I whould be interested what response you get (where are you?) All I think we need is the BIN file.

SW Guest

where did you get 1.08 from - I could only find 1.13 (http://support.acerpanam.com/synapse...words=&pupv=pu) (though the link I clicked did say that I needed 1.08 or above http://www.tabletpctalk.com/bugs/index.shtml)

Anyway they (Acer) are looking at it now - some report of replacing the main board this morning - which is worrying if all it needed was a new BIOS upload.

Not sure about if the symptoms are the same as I could turn off the laptop with the power button.

I just hope when it comes back, it is without the sticky keys (or the mouse flying into the bottom corner and r-clicking) - I actually wrote a program that would open a window in that area of the screen and sink the mouse clicks - then in meetings it didn't look too stupid and was largely useful as the pen at least seemed override that behaviour.

(PS - based in Reading)

cnixon Guest

Sounds similar, Have Acer quoted you? they wanted 35 quid just to look at it and give me a quote. PS I work in Reading and live in Basingstoke...Small World. 1.08 was from the uk web site.
    Craig

Dimitri Patakidis Guest

it doesn't look like th ROM file can be extracted from the wflash program. A copy of the ROM file could be made using a working machine and the wfash program.There is an option to "save the bios in a file".
    I am not sure if it saves the existing BIOS the machien booted up from ) or the one included with the wflash program.

Dimitri
    "With enough bricks you can build a fireplace"

---snip-----
    "......who can make a copy from a C302 (C302XMi) or can the ROM file be extracted from the wflash programme.
    ----snip------

randeeps Guest

Hiya Guys

Sorry to hear about this. However I got lucky updating to Bios 1.13 for Acer C302. Earlier had v1.08. Hope you get it sorted - do let us know if you are able to resolve this.

One issue - after updating to 1.13, i now get an error "Expansion slot not initialised - PCI Network Controller.......". Any idea how i can fix it? I am a novice in laptop but have assembled desktops. Any help will be appreciated. Also I am trying to upgrade my memory to 2GB .. so trying to get into the DIMM Slot2. However I am having trouble opening the keyboard to get access to it. Acer manual does not give much instrcution. So any step by step instruction for a novice will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Merry X'mas and Happy New Year 2006

bmhome1 Guest

The 300's have a screw hole labeled KB on bottom, unscrew that.

There's 3 tiny tabs at keyboard top to slide downwards with a pentip, keyboard lifts out. RAM slot is under metal plate removed with numerous screws.

Be sure tablet is unpowered and battery pulled first.

randeeps Guest

quote:Originally posted by bmhome1

The 300's have a screw hole labeled KB on bottom, unscrew that.

There's 3 tiny tabs at keyboard top to slide downwards with a pentip, keyboard lifts out. RAM slot is under metal plate removed with numerous screws.

Be sure tablet is unpowered and battery pulled first.
    Thanks bmhome1.

When I press the 3 tiny tabs (one after the other - not simultaneously), nothing happens. Do I have to press it very hard? I have also read in one forum that instead of pressing it downwards, I have to pull it upwards - but that did not work either.

Pls help !