Used Tablet PC

Thread: Issue with inking in Windows Journal and Graphics Driver

Default Issue with inking in Windows Journal and Graphics Driver

Hi folks:

I have encountered a strange issue when trying to ink on Windows Journal. When inking in portrait mode, the cursor on the screen (using the pen or finger) shows up as the last inking mode used. For example, if I ink something, and then erase it, then when I go to ink again, the cursor shows up as an eraser. It is not a big issue, but it is very annoying if you want to take long inking notes. For some reason, this issue only happens only in portrait orientation, and not in landscape orientation.

I think it is an issue with the Intel Graphics driver, as I was able to install an older graphics driver, and the issue goes away (but then I run into other problems like not being able to toggle the screen brightness). So it seems the new graphics driver solves one problem but creates another (and viceversa).

Any clues? Thanks as always.

You might want to give specifics such as 1. computer you are using 1000 1100 4200 2710p etc 2. Operating system
    TC1000 tc1100 tc4200 and now a tc4400

<<...the cursor...shows up as the last inking mode used. For example, if I ink something, and then erase it, then when I go to ink again, the cursor shows up as an eraser...>>

orin: First of all, member docg provides good advice; we need to know the basic details if you expect any of us to provide informed advice.

Having said that, the cursor problem in Journal is something of a "known issue." I have experienced it several times over the years, but have never been able to pin down a precise root cause. My primary tablet is a Dell XT2, and I have cycled several versions of the digitizer driver through it as N-trig has improved the various issues that they have had with their hardware. The Journal cusor problem would appear, or disappear, with different N-trig driver versions. On the other hand, I have cycled through at least three versions of the Intel video / graphics driver, but cannot recall ever seeing the Journal cursor problem change.

Does that mean that (in my case) the digitizer driver is the cause? I can't say; it could just as easily be the interaction between given versions of the digitizer and the video drivers is causing the problem...!

I can also tell you that I have never seen a definitive fix for this problem in any user forum discussions (which is not to say that one doesn't exist; just that I've never seen one...). Perhaps another forum member knows better, and if so, let's hope they weigh in to this discussion. In the meantime, your experience is not unique; but, like you, I've recognized that it's nothing more than a visual irritation. It doesn't affect operation at all, as far as I can tell.

This is happening on a 2740p under Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit). Because the problem disappears with an older driver (the older driver I used for testing this was for Windows XP Tablet edition, available at HP's site for download), I assume it is a graphics driver issue (or some combination of graphics driver - digitizer).

In searching around further, I have seen this problem reported on the 2730p as well with Windows 7. Very strange indeed...

I'll keep looking and post here any updates.

Thanks all.

My comment will pertain to using journal on a tc1100 using xp- I have never had this problem. So with that in mind it does look like a driver problem, perhaps they did not update the drivers or the program when bringing it into win7. I wonder if when you go to portrait mode if you did a quick digitizer sync what would happen. Or if you ran journal under xp compatibility mode? Although, I think that would be losing the benefits of win7. Thanks we'd like to hear of solutions, even though I'm xp currently doesn't mean I won't change in future.

My 2730p (win 7 HP 64 bit) does the same thing. Neither my Archos 9 nor tc1100 do it. I actually use One Note most often so the bug in Journal doesn't bother me enough to search for a fix. Sorry I can't contribute more than a me too.
    Formerly known as violajack.
    Intrigued by my ideas? Wish to subscribe to my newsletter?
    http://violajack.blogspot.com/

The following is a tip from the tabletpcreview forum -- these members were running win7 when the problem came up.

The following are quotes from this link
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/micr...olution-2.html

Hello,

I had the same problem with my X61T since I moved to W7. Using Windows Journal on portrait mode became a real pain and lost all its value (and if you look closer, on every window there's also a small "sub cursor" next to the arrow when pointing the menu bar).

Anyway, I just found a tip (not a solution) to decrease the annoyance generated by this sub cursor. I use French version of windows so, I will do try my best to translate menus.

On desktop>right click>customize>modify mouse pointers

tab pointer settings>show mouse trace

Configure the length of the trace according to your needs, I personally set it to the shortest setting.

Return on Windows Journal and enjoy.

:-)

TSR
    Holy Cow! I think you found the solution!

The menu choice is a bit different for users in the U.S.
    Let me try to go through this:

Go to Control Panel
    Find "Mouse Properties"
    Go to "Pointer Options"
    Put a check mark in the "Display Pointer trails"
    Slide the bar over to "short"
    Apply the changes and then restart journal.

This problem seems to have solved. I am a heavy Journal user and this has driven me CRAZY!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Yeap, indeed this solves the problem. Thanks docg!!!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by orinoco View Post
    For example, if I ink something, and then erase it, then when I go to ink again, the cursor shows up as an eraser.
    This is happening on a 2740p under Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit). Because the problem disappears with an older driver (the older driver I used for testing this was for Windows XP Tablet edition, available at HP's site for download), I assume it is a graphics driver issue (or some combination of graphics driver - digitizer).
    I'm using Windows XP in Portrait mode LE1600. I've never had this problem. Neither with M200 with XP.

I have a Windows 7 LE1700 I am migrating to. I'll report here, if it happens with that unit.

Quote Originally Posted by docg View Post
    The following is a tip from the tabletpcreview forum -- these members were running win7 when the problem came up. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/micr...olution-2.html
    Great to hear it works !
    Motion LE1600 VA x2, Motion LS800, Toshiba M200 x4, Motion LE1700 x4 and a TC1100 with dock just for nostalgia. No Ipads.