Used Tablet PC
Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: upgrading processor

Jonathan Schmidt Guest

Default upgrading processor

Update 4/13/2005...

Thought I would clarify the subject of the thread to include the problems some users have with a processor, which is stuck at 598Mhz. Using the same utility as those people upgrading processors, you can fix your Toshiba's microcode to support all of the available speeds of the current processor. If you have had your Toshiba repaired, you should check the speed to make sure you aren't stuck at 598Mhz.

Update 10/15/2004...

Now the upgrade process has been made even easier! Check out the new instructions for upgrading the CPU Table:

http://tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic....2&whichpage=17

Update 9/5/2004...

Many members have gotten this upgrade to work. For more details, check out the instructions posted starting on page 11:

http://tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic....2&whichpage=11

------------------

Well, I have upgraded my M200 to the Dothan processor, but it has not been a successful venture. Bad news, everyone...

It has been reported elsewhere that the reported speed of the processor by Windows is 598Mhz. Based on benchmarks that I have run, I can tell you that the M200 does not recognize the processor properly. It does not take full advantage of the processor. In the power settings, there are options for Levels 1-3. These levels all report 598Mhz in the System Properties page. But, in the benchmarks, they do make a difference. However, even at Level 3, the benchmarks are significantly below the 1.7 Banias chip. Results follow:
    Code:
    				 1.7B	2.0D		

SiSoftware Sandra
       Dhrystone DLU (MIPS)		 7058	1822
       Whetstone FPU (MFLOPS)	 2356	 589

Multimedia Integer		16065   4027
       Multimedia FP		17725	4447
    So, I can think of two possible things that Toshiba has done to get them to work in the new M200 shipping. One is a new BIOS revision. The other is a new motherboard revision including possible tweaks/updates to the chipset. Only time will tell.

For those of you who have ordered a new M200 with a 2.0Dothan, please report on the BIOS version on your machine when it arrives!

Just out of curiosity, I'm going to call Intel technical support to see if they can offer any solution. I will report back on my findings.

mjmattson Guest

Sorry to hear about the problem with the upgrade. I will let you know the BIOS revision when I get my 2.0GHz tablet.

toydesign Guest

Jonathan,

Sorry to hear the bad news....
    Now I'm bummed about not being able to upgrade....

Is there any hope at all ? If it is a BIOS upgrade is that something that can be downloaded/updated without too much trouble ?

Please keep posting your findings and good luck...

SparcV Guest

Just wondering what bios version do you have?

Jonathan Schmidt Guest

I have 1.40, which I notice is not available on the Toshiba Support page. I don't know why.

quote:Originally posted by SparcV

Just wondering what bios version do you have?

SparcV Guest

quote:Originally posted by Jonathan Schmidt

I have 1.40, which I notice is not available on the Toshiba Support page. I don't know why.

I noticed that mine had 1.40 also. I have a 1.7 Dothan coming in tomorrow, and I hope I dont have the same issue that you had with a 2.0

mjmattson Guest

The Spec sheet on the M200 with the Dothan info lists BIOS 1.31 for the 2.0GHZ machine on page 4. I guess that must be wrong if you guys are at 1.40

SparcV Guest

Ok I have some bad news myself. I installed the 1.7 Dothan and its stuck at 598Mhz and I cant change it. The Toshiba power utility only shows 3 power levels for the cpu and all have no effect. I verified the cpu speed with cpu-z. It looks like we need to wait for a new bios update or newer versions of the utilities that are Dothan aware?

Joelist Guest

I imagine that once the Dothans start shipping we'll see a BIOS flash download on the support site. The motherboards are the same.

Jonathan Schmidt Guest

Are you sure the MOBOs are the same? How do you know for sure? Just curious...

quote:Originally posted by Joelist

I imagine that once the Dothans start shipping we'll see a BIOS flash download on the support site. The motherboards are the same.