Used Tablet PC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M200s and SSDs/Solid State Hard Drives

Default M200s and SSDs/Solid State Hard Drives

Since my Tablet PC only came with 60 GB (and was able to make do with the limited space thanks to external hard drives), I was thinking if now would be a proper time to invest on getting a 64GB SSD. Several factors have led me to this:

-Performance wise, it beats a 7200RPM drive, not to mention it seems cheaper that upgrading to a new harddrive of the same speed. Add to the fact that lower capacity notebook HDDs have been discontinued (60/80GB range) and prices are generally always kept up because of phasing out.
    -Being a solid state drive, it would definitely resist shocks and subsequent sector errors. The last time I had to replace my HD I had to replace it with a similar capacity (60GB) for around $100. I should've waited longer since 160GB drives would eventually enter that price range. Now I'm looking for something within the range of $100 or less in the near future (since I only need 60GB to get by, but 80GB would be enough.
    -Less power consumption (correct me if I'm wrong on this one).
    -Lighter.

The only trouble I have looking for are facts about the M200 line's compatibility with SSDs, since there's no documentation anywhere. I'm inquiring about the knowledge os said compatibility with most SSD out there, and actual performance tests.

2. Default

It's not so much about OS's reading the SSD, recognitions are done at the BIOS level--although I'm quite sure SSD manufacturers would make them compatible with platter-based HDD's (signal wise), so that shouldn't be a problem (Now, I'm no expert, so don't quote me on this).

You just have to find out the HDD size (not storage size, physical size) and make sure it fits in a M200; that brings me to my next point (or rather, question): Does the M200 use 2.5 or 1.8 inch HDD's?
    Toshiba Portage M200 | Pentium M OC'd to 1.98Ghz | 1.5GB RAM | 40GB HDD | WinXP:TE SP3 | nVidia GeForce Go FX 5200 32MB

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Dude View Post
    You just have to find out the HDD size (not storage size, physical size) and make sure it fits in a M200; that brings me to my next point (or rather, question): Does the M200 use 2.5 or 1.8 inch HDD's?
    According to the spec sheet, m200s use 2.5 Enhanced IDE (ATA-6) Hard Drives by default. I'm not so sure about SATA compatibility.

You would need to be able to fit in a PATA to SATA converter with the new hard drive.

I think this may be something that will not fit in an m200, fellas.

I did see an IDE SSD being offered somewhere.

7. Default

Wow, that is actually rather cheap for a 64GB SSD drive (A tad under $150USD)--their prices have come down immensely in the last 12 months!

Sneezinglion, you seem to know quite a bit about these matters, so I'm going to direct this question to you (or anyone else that can answer it, really):
    Going by its official specs of "Enhanced IDE ATA-6", would any IDE drive be compatible?
    Toshiba Portage M200 | Pentium M OC'd to 1.98Ghz | 1.5GB RAM | 40GB HDD | WinXP:TE SP3 | nVidia GeForce Go FX 5200 32MB

Does Trancend have a good reputation with SSDs? Does anybody have prior experiences with their brand?

Kinda concerned about this in particular considering the hard drive which came with my Tablet (official Toshiba, then again it's refurbished) was the first one to go bad.

IDE ATA-6 was the last Parallel ATA spec if I remember correctly, so any ide drive should work.

Also, ide devices and controllers should effictively downgrade their abilities to the lowest common denominator.

10. Default

I own a Toshiba M200 and have been running it with the Transcend 64GB SSD mentioned earlier since December. I'm not sure if I can say that it is more power efficient, but it is almost completely silent when operating now, and the programs seem to launch slightly faster. I bought it because the original hard drive started making way too much noise to be healthy, and I am happy with my decision.