Used Tablet PC

Thread: Windows 7 on Modbook

Default Windows 7 on Modbook

I have searched far and wide for a pure slate, keyboardless Tablet PC with enough hardware for power users and it turns out that the best candidate was the Modbook.

* up to 640GB hdd
    * 12" 1280x800 screen
    * Nvidia 9400GM chipset
    * 2Ghz+ Core 2 Duo

I want a slate tablet but don't want the overpriced, piddling ULV-powered tablets, tiny HDD capacity machines from Motion Computing and the Modbook was the ONLY choice.

It turns out Windows 7 works great on this machine even though it is not explicitly supported by Boot Camp. While OS X is very nice, I rarely find myself using it, because I'm way too comfortable with my Windows apps.

This bunch of blog articles talk about how to deal with Windows 7 on a Modbook:

webmechs.com/webpress/category/hardware/modbook-hardware/

Required reading...

2. Default

The Modbook is the real deal it seems. You can find a good price on it at Gainsaver. Buy and review it for us!

3. Default

lmao at paying a PREMIUM for Apple hardware and a premium for modifying it, and then running windows 7 on it.

The hardware is nice though

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbarlow View Post
    lmao at paying a PREMIUM for Apple hardware and a premium for modifying it, and then running windows 7 on it.
    Indeed, with a modbook you DO pay a premium for Apple hardware and *then* a premium for modifying it.

But guess what? It's unbelievably still the cheapest(!!!) slate device out there with decent specs! (Last time I checked, the only slates you could get beside the modbook all have lame and slow ULV versions of the Intel chips and with pricing similar to the modbook... #$!#%!@#$!!)

It just goes to show how ridiculously overpriced slates are. Strangely enough, if you get a convertible (e.g. with a keyboard), things are *much* cheaper. Coming from a pretty nice convertible though (HP's tc4200), I have to say I do not miss the added thickness and bulk of the keyboard. It's great being able to use a wireless kb with the slate form factor.

5. Default

Nice Looking unit too

What's the screen like ?

[You Tube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIPkWaR7jDw [/You Tube]
    Motion LE1600 VA x2, Motion LS800, Toshiba M200 x4, Motion LE1700 x4 and a TC1100 with dock just for nostalgia. No Ipads.

6. Default

Did anyone finally tried Modbook? And did anyone had success with Windows on it?

There is an old 3-part video review of the Modbook on Gottabemobile.com. He successfully dual booted Windows Vista on it. Probably no reason Windows 7 wouldn't work also.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2008/06...mp-and-vmware/

8. Default

The modbook is an absolute beast, and has the capacity of a midrange-high end laptop, although the price is on the expensive side, it's#'s the best option out there for tablet pc users who want high performance and connectivity.