Used Tablet PC
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Smile Windows 7

Hi all,

I had a play with Windows 7 on my TC1100 and really enjoyed the new TIP design and functions. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to optimise the new OS in order to make it run really well on the TC1100?
    I love work; I can stare at it for hours.

The current minimum specs for Windows 7 is 1.5gz, it installed fine on my 1.2gz, but adding RAM helps compensate. Windows 7 loves RAM as much as Vista, 1.5GB minimum ideal. A faster hard drive such as 7200rpm or 5400rpm Hitachi also adds help. Keep eye on running processes (only 40-45 in default install) and auto-startup programs using Autoruns freeware. Defragmenting is again user controlled, and worth running after install. Lastly, plenty of free space on drive for page files and temp files.

On the very, very bleeding edge, success with vLite slashing Windows 7 is being reported. Head over to the vLite forums to glean what information exists yet.
    Last edited by bmhome1; 11-27-2008 at 01:27 AM.

I installed W7 on my ASUS R2H (900MHz, 1.2GB RAM) without problems and without needing to modify anything in the processing/setup.
    It runs FAST, even compared to the XP origional setup.

Installing it on the TC1000 gave more problems, including that I can't get the digitiser to work. But the biggest problem is the speed (actually the lack there off) when drawing things on the screen.

The R2H is very usable, the TC1000 is not (I have no TC1100 to compare to).

W7 is more optimised to work also on netbooks (1GB or less and slower harddisks) so the above by bmhome1 mentioned 'specs' and things to do are more Vista then W7 in my experience. The number of processes running is less important again with W7 because the scheduler (and the system processes) have changed.
    I would wait for the next build of W7 to determine what tweaks are needed then try and do it for this very early M3 version.

4. Default

I've tried the W7 7000 beta on my TC1100 and yeah, I kinda like it. I'd probably try and stick with it long term but I can't get the drivers for the soft buttons and the Q-Menu to install/work. Has anyone managed this? Thanks

I had buttons and Q-Menu working in Win7 6801 then did an upgrade to 7000 (as a risky experiment) and got partial functions, except screen rotation button and Q-Menu brightness.

After discovering total loss of video playback (WMP and MPlayer) that another also reported I've decided to full clean reinstall.

Did you install drivers in XP Compatibility mode?

6. Default

I had the same problem with a clean install of 7000. A hard lock when I try to play video. It also hard locks during the video playback testing portion of the WEI.

The only work-around I've found is to move the video acceleration slider to the left until D3D acceleration is disabled. Video then works, but is choppy. Hardly an ideal solution.

Has anyone found a better solution?
    Last edited by the_whiterabbit; 01-05-2009 at 12:45 AM. Reason: handwriting

7. Default

Is Win7 at public beta stage? Awful lot of people trying it lately. Don't have my MSDN subscription any more (sniff). Is it up for download anywhere (legal)?

8. Default

Windows 7 isn't in public beta yet, but if you happen across a copy, you can use it for a 30-day trial without activating or entering a product key. The public beta should be available later this month.

Anybody find a fix for the video issues or not have them in the 7000 build?

Question Which version of W7 to use then?

How is everyone going? Is the Public Beta (Build 7000) just breaking stuff too much and earlier versions are more workable?
    I love work; I can stare at it for hours.

My original enthusiastic results running Win7 6801 on 1100 are changed finding out that my video hard freezes with 7000 (public beta release) are actually widespread issue anyone running older video chipsets (even including 915's) will experience. Between that and similar widespread sleep wakeup freeze causes me to now advise greater caution installing Windows 7 in current state offered unless if/until addressed by MS.
    Last edited by bmhome1; 01-10-2009 at 08:03 PM.