Used Tablet PC

Thread: Best Tablet for 14yr old with autism?

Default Best Tablet for 14yr old with autism?

I have a 14yr old boy with autism that wants a tablet for christmas. I have no idea which one to get or what all it needs. Going crazy reading all the info on tablets. Thought maybe someone here could help me. Little info on him - He loves to draw, pictures he drew on computer just using the mouse are amazing. He'll carry it around, to school and at home. Big on games. Just starting to write reports on computer for class. Biggest use will be art. Needs to be simple to set up (He'll have no problem working it...I will). Big thanks to anyone that can help me out.

Hello KStorm,

Will he be doing very much typing? If not then you might consider a slate model like a Fujitsu. Then you could get a rugged case for it (called an OtterBox). This allows you access to all the functionality, but should also withstand most of the bumps and drops that any teenager might subject to delicate computer.

Fujitsu Stylistic ST5100

http://www.otterbox.com/products/pc_cases/tablet/

I don't do games so I can't really comment on this - but let me ask on behalf of others.... what kinds of games does he play?

He'll be typing school reports, that's about all the typing he wants to do. Your question would be easier to answer if you ask "What games does he NOT like to play". I'll check out the Fujitsu. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Blog Entries

I have sold tablets to the families of a handful of autistic kids. Any of the slate tablets (Motion, Fujitsu, Sahara) will be a good fit. If you want to talk more about it, give me a call or email.
    John Hill
    TabletPCBuzz, Owner/Editor

Allegiance Tablet PC Experts, CEO
    ALLTP Website
    ALLTP Tablet PC Store

That 1400 in the classifieds right now would offer inexpensive but fully capable introduction to slate tablets, even including bump cases.
    100% Old School tablet setup:

Sahara i440D - 4GB/500GB/7200 - Vista screams!
    HP TC1100 1.2 - 2GB/160GB/5400 - Vista - portrait - primary computer.
    HP TC1100 1.2 - 2GB/160GB/5400 - Vista - primary work computer.
    HP TC1100 1.0 - 2GB/60GB/7200 - XP - laptop - partner's primary computer.
    Acer 303xmi 1.6 - 2GB/100GB/7200 - Vista - laptop - work computer.
    Motion M1300 1.0 - 2GB/60GB/7200 - Vista - semi-retired (needs repair).
    Motion M1300 - for parts.
    Motion M1400VA - awaiting resurrection.