Used Tablet PC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i am hooking up a linksys wireless router w/acce

joly Guest

Default i am hooking up a linksys wireless router w/acce

i am hooking up a linksys wireless router w/access point to my desktop and tablet. i followed the instructions on the cd and have my desktop successfully hooked up to the router and internet going (i have dsl). now i'm trying to get my tablet hooked up. i was confused as the cd instructions said to hook up an ethernet cablet to the pc(tablet) and router but i'm wanting wireless. i searched thru papers trying to find an answer and the user guide and ended up calling linksys. george was not much help except to say that i don't need to hook up the ethernet cable if i'm doing wireless. but from there on he couldn't tell me what to do to get my tablet to communicate with the router. i hit the wifi button and my icon below says i'm hooked up to my connection to "jolynn" which i named my network and the signal is excellent but i can't get to internet. can anyone help me with what i should be doing? such as where do i imput any info from my desk top set up, etc etc. and do i just hit the wifi button when i want to connect?? i can follow directions but sometimes the directions are lacking for first timers.
    i would appreciate any help you can give.
    Thanks!

digitaldoc Guest

quote:Originally posted by joly

i am hooking up a linksys wireless router w/access point to my desktop and tablet. i followed the instructions on the cd and have my desktop successfully hooked up to the router and internet going (i have dsl). now i'm trying to get my tablet hooked up. i was confused as the cd instructions said to hook up an ethernet cablet to the pc(tablet) and router but i'm wanting wireless. i searched thru papers trying to find an answer and the user guide and ended up calling linksys. george was not much help except to say that i don't need to hook up the ethernet cable if i'm doing wireless. but from there on he couldn't tell me what to do to get my tablet to communicate with the router. i hit the wifi button and my icon below says i'm hooked up to my connection to "jolynn" which i named my network and the signal is excellent but i can't get to internet. can anyone help me with what i should be doing? such as where do i imput any info from my desk top set up, etc etc. and do i just hit the wifi button when i want to connect?? i can follow directions but sometimes the directions are lacking for first timers.
    Thanks!
    Sounds like you are up and running except for your tablet.
    First thing you need to do is is open your tablet's IE and type 192.168.1.1 (no http etc) in the address bar and press enter. This will find/ping your Acess Point. Your tablet has to find the Acess Point first of all. Linksys site has good written support. For example with my router:

http://www.linksys.com/download/qinstalls.asp?prid=415

Just remember, you are just networking two peer to peer computers like any other network but this one is wireless and not hard wired.

Hope this helps some. Check this link
    http://www.linksys.com/edu/

digitaldoc Guest

quote:Originally posted by joly

Thanks!
    Sounds like you are up and running except for your tablet.
    First thing you need to do is is open your tablet's IE and type 192.168.1.1 (no http etc) in the address bar and press enter. This will find/ping your Acess Point. Your tablet has to find the Acess Point first of all. Linksys site has good written support. For example with my router:

http://www.linksys.com/download/qinstalls.asp?prid=415

Just remember, you are just networking two peer to peer computers like any other network but this one is wireless and not hard wired.

Hope this helps some. Check this link
    http://www.linksys.com/edu/

joly Guest

unfortunately this did not work. :(
    i'm reading everything i can find.
    my two computers in the taskbar is still showing the connection and saying excellent but just can't get to the internet.
    is there settings or info i should be entering on my tablet to get it to connect to the router? on the wireless settings it does show the network name. i'm afraid maybe i've not entered some info where it should be. i'll keep trying to figure this out or maybe call linksys again.
    :-)

joly Guest

unfortunately this did not work. :(
    i'm reading everything i can find.
    my two computers in the taskbar is still showing the connection and saying excellent but just can't get to the internet.
    is there settings or info i should be entering on my tablet to get it to connect to the router? on the wireless settings it does show the network name. i'm afraid maybe i've not entered some info where it should be. i'll keep trying to figure this out or maybe call linksys again.
    :-)

joly Guest

well,i ended up calling linksys back and got a really nice rep, walked me thru everything. got the setting right etc. but still no internet. it pinged 3 different sites but couldn't open up internet explorer. he said it was either the browser or a firewall stopping it. i don't have any firewalls up. so he said their equipment was working so he couldn't help me anymore. i tried to hook up directly to my dsl and got the same thing. it worked fine last night. so i restored my computer back to last saturday, and it works fine hooked directly to dsl. soooooo, i tried to hook to the router again and got the same thing, can't connect, so i restored again (thank goodness for restore!) back to square 1! trying to hook to the router must be changing some settings somewhere. i beginning to thing wireless is hopeless for me. [cry]

joly Guest

well,i ended up calling linksys back and got a really nice rep, walked me thru everything. got the setting right etc. but still no internet. it pinged 3 different sites but couldn't open up internet explorer. he said it was either the browser or a firewall stopping it. i don't have any firewalls up. so he said their equipment was working so he couldn't help me anymore. i tried to hook up directly to my dsl and got the same thing. it worked fine last night. so i restored my computer back to last saturday, and it works fine hooked directly to dsl. soooooo, i tried to hook to the router again and got the same thing, can't connect, so i restored again (thank goodness for restore!) back to square 1! trying to hook to the router must be changing some settings somewhere. i beginning to thing wireless is hopeless for me. [cry]

joly Guest

here i am FINALLY wireless. i decided to try one more time, look at all the connections on BOTH pc's and found one box i didn't think should be checked on the connections on my desktop and here i am finally wireless.
    whew! an all afternoon/evening project! LOL
    sorry i wasted so much space on the bored. i was becoming desperate!
    i'm a happy camper now.
    :D

joly Guest

here i am FINALLY wireless. i decided to try one more time, look at all the connections on BOTH pc's and found one box i didn't think should be checked on the connections on my desktop and here i am finally wireless.
    i'm a happy camper now.

joly Guest

i'm a happy camper now.