Used Tablet PC
Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: upgrading processor

frozen Guest

Jonathan,

If the CPUs are the same I guess the microcode should be the same for both systems (Toshiba and Sony) and probably Sony has the same hardware scheme for both Celerons and Pentiums and the only difference is the file with the CPU table that you found. In theory if I could find the same program (the one made by Sony) that gets you access to the advanced configuration of the BIOS of the Sony then I should probably see a similar file to witch make the corrections, after all the CPU upgrade to the Pentium M did work well, the system is faster and the cooler, Windows sees the processor as a Pentium M 2GHz but running at 598MHz. I guess the logical step is to get those configuration files...

Jonathan Schmidt Guest

Yes, but you are assuming that the microcode between the two systems is the same. I do not believe that is a good assumption to make. Just becasue they use the same CPU does not mean that the BIOS uses the same mechanism for identifying the CPU and understanding its capabilities (stepping, voltage, multiplier). For example, some laptops out there (I believe some Dells) do not require any modification to the BIOS at all. All you have to do is pop in the faster proc and it works. Others, like the Toshiba, require a microcode update. Other laptops (perhaps your Sony) do not have any microcode utility and require a completely different BIOS file to understand the different proc. In short, you need to find out a heck of a lot more about your system's BIOS and how it differs on systems with different procs. I would not advise you to use the microcode from the Toshiba unless you can verify using a hex editor that the Sony BIOS contains the exact same microcode.

Messing with your BIOS is not something to be taken lightly. You definitely don't want to be screwing around with it unless you know what you are doing. The people that have participated in this thread (including myself) have a certain measure of expertise and have taken some great risks. Our research and (to some degree) luck have resulted in a very measured, calculated risk that I was comfortable taking with my system. Unless you are willing to take the chance that you may "brick" your laptop, you should not be the first person to try this on your system without some serious foundation for a belief that it will work.

Just my $.02.

frozen Guest

I understand the risks involved with the flashing of the BIOS, certainly I would not do it if I would have some degree of confidence on what I am doing, after all it is always better a running laptop than a brick... in the meantime I will do some more research about this system's BIOS. Thanks for your advice Jonathan. I will post my findings.

frozen Guest

I could not believe it but it worked well, and was easy, fast, and cheap!! I was thinking that probably the BIOS did not updated itself with the new processor and decided to load the default BIOS settings in the BIOS setup menu (F2 while booting the laptop), saved the changes and rebooted the laptop and noticed that the booting and the loading of the OS was faster, checked on the PC properties and it was there: the processor was running at full speed 2GHz !!; I have also tested with cpuz.exe and confirmed that the speed was 2 GHz. Overall the system is running faster.

Jonathan, thanks for listen to me.

Hope this would help to other Vaio owners.

Jonathan Schmidt Guest

Glad it worked out well for you! I hope I didn't insult you in any way. I just didn't want to see you brick your laptop.

So all you had to do was go into the BIOS and choose the "Load Defaults" option? That's definitely easier than the Toshiba! :)

Blutarsky Guest

Dear Jonathan,
    I own a Toshiba Satellite M30 with a 1,6 Pentium M, whose mobo was defective and replaced.

Got it back from the service, and apart form haveing a mobo named "Portable PC", multiplier is stuck at 6x (598Mhz) was wondering how to set the clock properly without going back to the service....

...Here's the report by Everest:

2 months ago:
    CPU Type: Mobile Intel Pentium M, 1600 MHz (16 x 100)
    Motherboard Name: TOSHIBA Satellite M30
    BIOS Type: Phoenix (02/13/04)
    Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64 MB)
    DMI BIOS Vendor TOSHIBA
    DMI BIOS Version Version 1.40
    DMI System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
    DMI System Product Satellite M30
    DMI System Version PSM30E-0SY2K-IT
    DMI System Serial Number 34130355P
    DMI System UUID 352AB780-36A415CB-8031D953-34130355
    DMI Motherboard Manufacturer TOSHIBA
    DMI Motherboard Product Portable PC
    DMI Motherboard Version Version A0
    DMI Motherboard Serial Number $$T043MA7H
    DMI Chassis Manufacturer TOSHIBA
    DMI Chassis Version Version 1.0
    DMI Chassis Serial Number 00000000
    DMI Chassis Asset Tag 0000000000
    DMI Chassis Type Notebook
    DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 2 / 0

Now:
    CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium M, 600 MHz (6 x 100)
    Motherboard Name TOSHIBA Portable PC
    BIOS Type Phoenix (10/06/03)
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 32M/64M (64 MB)

DMI
    DMI BIOS Vendor TOSHIBA
    DMI BIOS Version Version 1.20
    DMI System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
    DMI System Product Portable PC
    DMI System Version Version 1.0
    DMI System Serial Number 0000000000
    DMI Motherboard Manufacturer TOSHIBA
    DMI Motherboard Product Portable PC
    DMI Motherboard Version Version A0
    DMI Motherboard Serial Number $$Y15ZK0MH
    DMI Chassis Manufacturer TOSHIBA
    DMI Chassis Version Version 1.0
    DMI Chassis Serial Number 00000000
    DMI Chassis Asset Tag 0000000000
    DMI Chassis Type Notebook
    DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 2 / 0

Any help appreciated

Blutarsky Guest

Yuhuuuu......... is anibody here????

Jonathan Schmidt Guest

Blutarsky,

I can't say for sure, but I would guess that it is likely that the Toshiba utility will work with your system. If it doesn't work, it will most likely just give you an error message. I have never tested it on an M30 myself, but I think if you check this thread, another member has done it successfully.

Hope this helps...

Jonathan

Blutarsky Guest

Arhhhhhh..... what utility? I'm struggling to find it!
    I've read about updating from Banias to Dothan, but that's not my case.
    I only need help to set the multiplier to 16x as it was before service.

Rightmark Mem analyzer states the following:
    Intel Pentium M Processor 1600Mhz
    Core name: Banias
    Revision: B1
    Family: 6, model:9, stepping:5
    Core speed 598,50Mhz
    Bus speed: 99,75Mhz
    Multiplier: 6,0x (6,0x-16,0x)

HELP!!!!!

kenner Guest

i bought yesterday an used Toshiba M2 (i mean used because i didn't bought it from the shop, but it's barely used by the former owner)
    and the thing is, the Pentium M 1.6GHz (Banias) is stuck at 598MHz!

Is the "pom200t1 V1.5" program working with my notebook or is there a chance to "brick" my notebook ? Also does Toshiba have an e-mail adress where i could contact them? could they solve the program? I would call their Hotlines, but i live in Romania and it would cost me a fortune, i would really appreciate it if u guys could help me in any way.