quote:Originally posted by krad
I have had the c100 for alittle over 3 months now. Got it from a doctor that left my tech firm.
Anyway, anyone who has one of these things knows it comes with restore cd's and a really crappy usb cd-rom. TO be honest I did a restore 3-4 times on the tablet. Then i tried loading fedora... not a good idea.
I decided to redo the tablet a new way.
1. Went into bios and turned speedstep to maximum performance.
2. Plugged in 56x dual dvd+- sony usb burner.
3. Put in the latest copy of msdn windowsxp pro with sp2/tablet edition 2005 cd1.
4. Partitioned 80 gig hard drive c:12 gigs, d:20gigs, e:42gigs (with windows cd)
5. Loaded windows and 2nd tablet edition cd.
6. Loaded most of travelmate drivers.
7. Loaded c111 launch manager.
8. Loaded all my apps, (photoshop, office, dreamweaver..etc)
Conclusion after installation- tablet performs twice as fast. NO JOKE!
1. Turned off all unnecessary services, used "optimize xp guide" from google.
2. Uninstalled useless windows applications, (msn, messenger)
3. Turned off most of the visual appearance stuff. I kept shadows and themes though.
4. Followed guides and later used tweaknow powerpack 2006. To tweak the cache, set l2 cache for windows and alot of other memory settings.
5. ran jv16.org regsupreme to remove bad registry keys.
6. installed diskeeper and defragmented all drives.
7. defragmented the registry
I have now been using my tablet for over a month and it is still as fast as when i first made it on this new 80 gig drive.
1. used neowin uxtheme patcher.
2. Installed new visual styles.
3. Use system object editior and axialis iconworkshop to edit icons and add foldes to my computer.
4. just started using xpize. www.msfn.org
lots and lots of tweaks....
The difference from loading a this tablet with its restore cd's with two fat32 partitions and the old os, then having to upgrade to 2005 and convert file system to ntfs, slows the whole system down alot. If you can i would start fresh with the latest windows cd. trust me you will thank me afterwards.
let me know if you have any questions.