Used Tablet PC

Thread: Is there anyway of locking the keyboard panel of

nrms Guest

Default Is there anyway of locking the keyboard panel of

Is there anyway of locking the keyboard panel of the TIP in "Func" mode, for multiple presses of a function key (eg. F3 )?

I find it incredibly annoying to have to keep pressing the Func key between each press of the F3 key when I am searching (Find Next) through a document.

Also, is there any way of creating a "spike", i.e. a macro mode for easy text entry of phrases that need entry regularly?

Thanks

Nigel

Randyspawn Guest

You could play with this program: http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/

It doesn't let you do exactly what you're asking but it will let you use gestures to represent certain keys, so you could use a gesture to represent F3. You might be able to make it enter phrases as well.

nrms Guest

Thanks for this lead, I'll check it out ....

Nigel

Teffy Guest

quote:Also, is there any way of creating a "spike", i.e. a macro mode for easy text entry of phrases that need entry regularly?
    I like the freeware MacroMaker :P::

"MacroMaker allows you to create macros or recordings to automate most anything that you already do by hand. MacroMaker was written more for the use of people who regularly use computers and programmers rather than the casual PC user. Most anything you know how to do by hand can be translated into a macro or recording in MacroMaker. If you are having to perform repetitive tasks, this program will help you out tremendiously. The user can simulate a series of keystrokes, mouse events, play back previous recordings of keystrokes and mouse events or execute some built-in functions with just a keystroke. You can even store content from the clipboard in internal MacroMaker buffers for later use."

http://members.ij.net/anthonymathews/MacroMaker.htm

Teffy

t lewis Guest

MacroMaker sounds cool. I use a similar ap called MacroMagic.

But what I've found that really addresses the problem of no modifier keys of functioun keys in tablet mode is a sweet little utilty called QuickButtons.

It's very basic: it creates a slender toolbar on the top or bottom of your screen that can have up to twenty buttons, programable for any key-combo or activity. You can, for instance, have the 12 function buttons always on screen (and 8 others).

You can have more than one toolbar running, and if screen real estate is a problem, they can be made "hideable" to appear only when your stylus hovers near. It does the "spike" thing mentioned.

This gets very powerful when combined with a macro program like those mentioned above.

Aaaaand it's free.
    http://www.mjtnet.com/quickbuttons/

--t lewis

PS: I'm currently messing with the demo of an ap called QuicKeys that is like QuickButtons on cosmic steroids, but it costs $99. No verdict yet.