I have been reading this great forum as a lurker for several weeks. I have an M205 that I upgraded to 1 gig of RAM from Crucial.
I've had my M205 for a couple of weeks now and here are my thoughts and warnings based on my experience.
1. The Fieldmate case is beautifully designed, but IMHO, deadly. I had my machine in the case in portrait mode and the thing got so hot it cooked the Toshiba logo on the back of the display so that is is now permamently altered in an ugly way! The keyboard was so hot I could barely touch it. The Fieldmate case is good looking and sweet-feeling in landscape mode but it cooked my M205 in less than 2 hours of work. The machine needs to breathe and I have decided to let it breathe naked outside my Tenba laptop bag. The Fieldmate case also bit into the lower front edge of my M205 and scratched off the paint. Not acceptable. Grr! The case also degrades WiFi performance. More on that at the bottom of this message...
2. Don't mess with the Toshiba Power saving menu. Use the defaults. I played around with the settings to get the best performance while plugged into AC (I defaulted everythign to Max levels) and the lower left front part of the machine would get really hot even when naked. Going back to the default settings helped the heat issue and I don't notice and decline in performance.
3. My machine was made on 5/15 in China and included the most recent BIOS. I have a dust spec as well. Annoying.
4. New Warranty options are coming this week and plans include On-Site repair for Home users as well as Depot and Accident coverage. Home On-Site and Accident coverage and extended warranty should run around $399 for three years. If you just want Accident and extended warranty that will be around $319 for three years. The updated warranty info should be available online by July 1. I found this out by talking directly to Toshiba when I could not find the full slew of warranty coverage for once price offered online that was listed in the accessories booklet included with my machine.
5. They keyboard is excellent. I am coming from a tiny Vaio PCG-TR3A3. IBM still has the best keyboard but Toshiba is a solid second. The Vaio keyboard flexes a bit.
6. The screen is acceptable. Not as good as the Vaio, but good enough for a tablet. SMILE!
7. Does anyone know if the Ultra SD Cards work well in the M205? If yes, do you notice any speed difference?
8. I have the Port Replicator III. It is a must have. Works really well and puts the keyboard on just the right angle for typing. IBM does their replicator better. Undocking is a bit clunky with the Toshiba.
9. Unreal Tournament 2004 looks and runs great on the M205!
10. WiFi G is excellent and outstanding. The Connection Doctor is the best and easiest setup for wireless and IR comms I have seen -- it even beats the Netgear connector. Oh, and another knock on the Fieldmate case is doing WiFi. From 100 feet away from the base station I get 24MBps and in the Fieldcase in the exact same location I get knocked down to 1Mbps.
That's all for now.