Used Tablet PC

Thread: problems connecting to networks on m400 w/ Vista

goblin Guest

Default problems connecting to networks on m400 w/ Vista

So, for some reason, everytime I send my computer to sleep, hibernate, turn it off, unplug the ethernet cable, disable the wifi, or any action that would disrupt the computer's connection to the internet, I lose my ability to be automatically connected to that network when I resume from whateve state I was in.

Sometimes I get the message that the network is "Identifying...", and it just sits on that, or the network icon says I'm connected to the Local and Internet networks, but when I try to load a site I actually still don't have internet access, or the network icon says I'm connected to only the Local network.

In all of these instances, the only way to solve the problem is to disable the appropriate network adapter via the software page, and then reenable it.

Any ideas of why this is happening / how to fix it? Yes, I have already tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the most current network adapters.

goblin Guest

I'm running Vista Ultimate, btw.

digitaldoc Guest

>>everytime I send my computer to sleep, hibernate, turn it off, unplug the ethernet cable, disable the wifi, or any action that would disrupt the computer's connection to the internet<<

Short answer: Your internet connection is using the same service as that which accesses your LAN. This is normal based on what you are doing (terminating TCP/IP connection for internet and network). This will happen with XP too with what you describe you have done. Just repair and it will find a new IP address. (hover over taskbar icon of NIC and right mouse click to repair). Disabling and enabling the NIC does an auto repair.
    I can't even use hibernate or sleep at my job, because by definition of what they will do, will terminate my network IP address. I need to be connected to my network medical database at work at all times.
    In fact, my network software (EMR) dis-allows hibernate or sleep because it knows the connection will be broken. Good move or their part.

Bottom line is you are terminating your network with what you are doing, at least that is my understanding. This happens to everyone.
    You are not a, "Vista Freak," just a, "Tech Freak." :)