Used Tablet PC
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage 1: Initial Awareness Usually char

Wcrocker Guest

Default Stage 1: Initial Awareness Usually char

Stage 1: Initial Awareness
    Usually characterized by the following type of questions:

-What is a Tablet PC and if I take one (a Tablet), will I be better equipped to digest my problems?

- or -

-What *is* that? Why is the person using it looking smugly contented while doing things that I can't?

- or –

-Why is that person writing on his/her laptop?

Stage 2: Indecision
    Usually characterized by the nagging question:

-Should I or shouldn't I buy one of these things?

-and-

-TabletPCBuzz is [u]bookmarked </u>in your favorites.

Stage 3: Higher Awareness
    Usually characterized by the question:

-They cost what?

REPEAT STAGE TWO

Stage 4: Pre-acquisition rumination Phase A.
    Usually characterized by the following:

-Can someone tell me what tablet I should buy?

-Should I wait until the next generation of tablets comes out?

-What’s a slate?

-TabletPCBuzz becomes a [u]link</u> in your browser.

Stage 4: Pre-acquisition rumination Phase B.

-All the answers to your questions begin and end with how personal a decision your purchase will be; forcing you to really examine what the hell you are going to do with this expensive tool/toy.

-You use WNewquay's Mighty Morphin' Tablet Rationalizer to figure out your options.

Stage 5: Decision Made
    Usually characterized by the following question:

-Now, where the hell can I get one!

Stage 6: High Anxiety
    (Assuming you order on-line, if not skip to Stage 7)
    Usually characterized by:

-An increasing familiarity with manufacturers’s website order tracking procedures, order numbers, tracking numbers, and shipping companies tracking sites.

-Just what does Pending Credit Card Verification mean anyway?

-Secondary symptoms of devouring every single word written about tabletPC's on every website on the entire internet (Of which this site is the best!), and envisioning countless scenarios of utopian mobility.

-TabletPCBuzz forum RSS feeds are added to your [u]RSS reader.</u>

Stage 7: Bliss!

-That feeling of finding first love.

-It's Here!

-WOW!

-and-

-How do you load software without a CD drive?

Stage 8: Network and Sharing Awareness
    Usually follows this scenario(unless Network and Sharing Awareness preceded Tablet Awareness):

-Decide its now time to create a home network and buy a wireless router.

-Panic on realisation that you know nothing about home networks, and decide its better to go cable ethernet.

-Realise that its actually not that hard and despite all the techno gibberish, decide to go wireless.

-Thrill as you send your first document wirelessly across the network from you easy chair to the printer upstairs. Magic.

-Explain to girlfriend/wife/significant other how a wireless network actually works (draw lots of pictures, the female way).

-Realise that you have forgot all about wireless security, etc and stare aimlessly out of window. Grab Tablet and doodle, in thought mode.

Stage 9: Higher Awareness Still

-Why am I not getting enough sleep? Why is my spouse not speaking to me?

-and-

-TabletPCBuzz [u]is always open and running.</u>

-and-

-Whats the little metal ring that came with my pen?

-and-

-How many posts does it take before I get a second star on the TabletPCBuzz forums?

Stage 10: Complete Obsession
    Usually characterized by the following statements and questions:

-I want to do more with this tablet than I originally thought.

-Cool!

-Which case is best?

-What's a screen protector?

-Do I need a screen protector?

-Which screen protector?

-Can I burn DVD's to my hardrive?

-You scan the TabletPCBuzz forums trying to figure out the number of posts you need before your reach the Philospher Level.

Stage 11: Self Awareness and Ego Gratification

-You use your tablet in a meeting, presentation, work environment and feel pride, justification, a new sense of purpose, as all around you oooh and aaaah at your technical superiority.

-and-

-You provide a helpful answer to a new poster on TabletPCBuzz.

-and-

-You begin to tell time using Pacific Standard or Daylight Time no matter where you live.

-and-

-Why is my wife serving me with legal papers?

Stage 12: Upgrade Anxiety

-Frantic googling in search of the lowest prices on...

-Memory
    -Internal Hard Drives
    -USB External Hard Drives
    -Extra Batteries
    -Extra Pens
    -Docking Solutions
    -802.11g wireless cards

-and-

-Your rise to the status of TabletPCBuzz Intellectual seems to increase your upgrade anxiety.

Stage 13: Buyer’s Remorse

-Oh, wait... another manufacturer is bringing a new machine to market... did I purchase too early... oh, ummm.....

-And-

-What's a Dothan?

-You mean there's such a thing as a better viewing angle?

Stage 14: ZEN or ABSOLUTE OBSESSION

-I can sell this one on EBay and upgrade!

-or-

-You mean I have 30 days to get an RMA?

-or-

-I can go into massive debt and buy another tablet, er.. no...er...I can buy two more, er... three more... I want one of each!

-You spend way to much time on the TabletPCBuzz forums and try to figure out how many posts it takes to advance to the Guru level.

-You know the subtle changes between the last two builds of XPS2.

-You follow closely the thread about changing the processor from Banias to Dothan.

-You know that Lonestar and Longhorn are not just the names of a brand of beer and a breed of cattle.

-You have to take time to write out what this stage is.

With thanks and apologies to WNewquay and cdabel!

AND everyone else who contributed.

Enjoy!

sco_robinso Guest

Yep, pretty acurate.

devocity Guest

How true!!! :D Lets just hope I make it past stage 6!

CamperMan Guest

I'm also stuck on stage 6, although my C111TCi is supposed to have shipped today and should be here by Thursday!

I will say that in my case, stage 4 (which should I buy) and stage 5 (where do I buy it) were:

stage 4:

Here is my ideal tablet list from top to bottom, giving each one good and bad points, assuming money is no object. This stage is characterized by exhaustive research into all the different tablet models, including options and accessories. The various TabletPCBuzz forums were very helpful here.

stage 5:

Actually buying the tablet after scouring Internet and retail sales, clearances, and eBay. At this stage, money is definitely an object.

My ideal tablet, of the ones currently offered, is the TC1100. However, I was able to find an Acer C111TCi on clearance for $1400 (with free 2nd day shipping)! Adding an extra 512 MB (for a total of 768 MB) for $120 still brought me under $1520. That beat the best prices I found a refurbished TC1100, without the optical drive. So, I went for the Acer (which was fourth on my list).

stage 6:

The TabletPCBuzz forum RSS feeds are added to your RSS reader.

Jim

shalexim Guest

Stage 1-7 is a definite! Stages 8-11 may need some reworking with an addition of another 11 steps. [thumbsup]

Song Guest

Interesting and pretty accurate!

sterobinson Guest

And i thought it was just me !!!

This is scaringly very accurate, however there is additional stage for me personally. Say stage 7.

7. Decide its now time to create a home network and buy a wireless router. Panic on realisation that you know nothing about home networks, and decide its better to go cable ethernet. On realising that its actually not that hard and that despite all the techno gibberish, you then decide to go wireless. Imagine the thrill of sending your first document wirelessly across the network to the printer upstairs. Magic. Explain to girlfriend how a wireless network actually works (draw lots of pictures, the female way). Then realise that you have forgot all abour wireless security, etc and stare aimlessly out of window. Grab Tablet and doodle, in thought mode.

The Chief Nerd Guest

Nail on the head. I've gone through those exact 11 Stages twice now. I'm sure at some point next year (the next generation of tablets) I will revisit the 11 Stages...yet again.

adrobinson Guest

Right on target, wCrocker. I too have gone through the 11 stages twice, and I will likely revisit them when the next-gen Toshiba tablet is released. You might consider the "marital counseling" and "dissolution mediation" stages in there as well. :)

Thanos Guest

The 11 steps are very accurate. I'm someware between 9 and 10 myself. I forgot to charge my ta blet before school yesterday, can't believe how hard it seems to take notes with _paper_... I ended up with circles where I had attempted to select ink and move it, like I would in FCTP!