PDA

View Full Version : N-trig: the most useful Android slates will be pen enabled.

digitaldoctors
11-03-2010, 02:19 AM
N-Trig: 'the most useful Android slates will be pen-enabled'

Sure, N-Trig's DuoSense combined pen / capacitive touch technology has become a household name when talking about Tablet PCs, and most recently has popped up in the HP Slate, but as you may expect the company is planning on pushing into other tablet territories. N-Trig's VP of Marketing Gary Baum told us earlier today that the Israel-based company will certainly support other operating systems (flavors of Linux, such as Ubuntu, etc.) and is in fact working with hardware partners on Android tablets. That means those latter slates would have capacitive touchscreens that support both pen and finger input -- something we haven't yet seen on any other non-resistive Android tablets. It's certainly a differentiator, and Baum wasn't shy about stating that "the most useful Android slates will be pen-enabled." (Funny enough, he told us the guys at N-Trig call the other contenders out there "JAAS," or "just another Android slate.")

source: engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/02/n-trig-the-most-useful-android-slates-will-be-pen-enabled/)

PrototypeNM1
11-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Now if only they could figure out how to get pen to work properly to begin with. Pressure support for my TX2 in GIMP and several other programs remains null.

digitaldoctors
12-21-2010, 12:42 AM
N-Trig hopes to resurrect pen computing with Android support

Chances for pen-aware Android tablets aren't certain. N-Trig has been essential behind some of the most important Windows-based tablets, including the Dell Latitude XT2, but the market for pen-based computers as a whole has failed to take off. Microsoft has been a proponent of the format almost exclusively since starting the Windows Tablet PC platform in 2002 but has never had more than a small portion of the computer market. Its (Tablet PC) share is now on the decline and should reach just 1.25 million units for all of 2010.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/12/20/n.trig.to.have.android.support/#ixzz18iokKZxj

The executive acknowledged that there were significant limits, however. A display would carry a $50 premium over a regular multi-touch screen and would also require app support for pressure sensitivity.

Zeuxidamas
01-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I just wonder how n-trig will compete against capacitive stylus' and apps with palm rejection. I use both, the more traditional active digitizer on my TabletPC and a capacitive stylus and app w/palm rejection on my iPad. While the latter is no equal to the functionality on my TabletPC, it is useable and sufficient for my tasks on that platform. I do not know why the TabletPC market has never figured out how to offer active digitizers at reasonable prices, but if they want to implement this on tablets, it seems like it will carry well more than a $50 price premium, given the prices I see around the market for TabletPCs over similarly spec'd non-tablet laptops.

The only way I see this taking hold is if manufacturers start figuring out how to take a loss on the first units in order to build a decent install-base. The old strategy of hoping that early adopters will build enough street-cred for the product to get mainstream consumers interested has not happened with TabletPCs. With prices still in the stratosphere for tabletPCs in the slate form-factor, I am not seeing how they expect to effect mainstream consumer consumption with tablets, even if they are deployed with alternative OS'.

Before I pay as much for a tablet as I paid for my convertible TabletPC with active digitizer, or significantly more than I paid for my iPad, I would continue using a capactive stylus for my tablet. Pricing for these devices would really have to be down around the +$50 mark mentioned. If they push too far into the middle space between tablets and TabletPCs, a lot of people will just spend the extra to get a full-blown TabletPC with all of the functionality of a full OS, rather than pay 2/3rds the price to get an active digitizer equivalent but reduced functionality of the OS.

It will be great if they get to +$50, I just extremely doubt it because they have never gotten there when in the slate form-factor, and they (the industry) has never seemed to care to. Pricing in this venue continues to remain targeted at enterprise and vertical markets and not to mainstream consumers or even the moderate enthusiasts.
- Vr/Z..>>