PDA

View Full Version : I am trying to recover XP Tablet to an Acer C102

wood0004
03-15-2004, 12:10 AM
I am trying to recover XP Tablet to an Acer C102TCI. I have an Addonics Pocket DVD/CD-RW drive. I am using it with a USB cable. The Acer successfully boots with the CD; however, the system locks up when it executes "DUSE INIT" which is the USB CD-ROM driver. I also have a DVD/CD-RW FireWire drive from a Motion M1200 that I will try tonight.

Does anybody have any tips for solving this problem? I tried to extract the boot image to edit the autoexec.bat file but I am not sure how to edit the image and I don't want to have to create a new config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Thank you in advance.

Jody Wood

arehrlich
03-15-2004, 03:12 AM
Jody,

I attempted to recover my 102Tci with a Sony USB drive. It hung up as well. Once I used the Acer drive that came with my tablet I had no problem whatsoever. I have no answer to the question why, but using the original equipment worked well.

Hope this helps,

Alan

wood0004
03-15-2004, 04:22 AM
I don't have the original drive that came with the Acer. I'll see what happens with the Motion FireWire drive and report back. The Motion drive is an AOpen ESV-188i (Uses a Sony CRX810E drive inside).

I know DUSE works with the Addonics because you can download a boot disk from them that uses the DUSE driver. I would like to edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys on the Acer CD to get it to initialize the drive the way the Addonics boot disk works.

wood0004
03-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Let's see ...

I bought a BUSlink USB drive. The PC did boot to the CD but locked up in the same place (DUSE INIT).

I also tried the FireWire drive from my motion m1200. When I connected it, I was able to select 1394 Boot Device; however, it did not boot to the CD.

Can anybody give me details about the drive that came with the C102Tci? Who made it, FireWire or USB, Part Number, etc...

Also, is there a way that I can recover without booting to the Recovery Disk?

wood0004
03-16-2004, 11:35 PM
I was able to create a boot floppy from the bootable image on the setup CD. I removed the DUSE INIT line and had the disk use a different USB CD driver. Now I can get to the recovery options screen. I select English and then select the first option to restore to factory configuration. I get a message to remove the setup CD and insert the recovery CD and the drive ejects. However, the OK and Cancel buttons are greyed out and I can't select anything. The system is not locked up as I still have mouse control.

Any ideas?

digitaldoc
03-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Does Acer put the recover files on partition D:?

wood0004
03-17-2004, 04:34 AM
They don't have recovery on a different partition. There is a setup boot disc, three recover discs, and an antivirus disc.

wood0004
03-17-2004, 11:36 AM
The key is to not use Acer's recovery program!

My quick and easy install ...

1. Create boot disk with CD-ROM driver (USBASPI2.SYS, USBCD1.SYS from bootdisk.com worked best with USB drives). Make sure fdisk (or efdisk) and format utilities are on disk.

2. Boot to disk and delete/recreate partition.

3. Reboot and format drive.

4. Under tools on Setup CD run ghostro (Norton Ghost Lite Edition).

5. Insert the first recovery disk and select image (need to look at *.*).

6. Enter "acermsu" as password.

ADB
11-12-2007, 12:49 AM
My first newby post.
I know we are a few years down the track now - but I am trying to sort out a Travelmate C100 for my Grandson. He is dispraxic and the tablet format will be very helpful for his writing development. Sympathy stuff over - read on.
I have the same problem recovering from the rubbish Acer recovery disks that everyone else seemed to have. The 'DUSE ini' command in Autoexec causes a hang. The PC has a new HDD fitted - not formatted.

I have extracted the recovery boot image to floppy and edited it to use USBASPI and USBCD. I can now boot from floppy and read the system CD, which is in a Compaq external USB drive. The recovery options screen comes up and I can select English. In the next screen I select the option to restore to factory configuration. As 'Wood0004' previously experienced, I too get a message to remove the setup CD and insert the recovery CD and the drive ejects. However, the OK and Cancel buttons are greyed out and I can't select anything. The system is not locked up as I still have mouse control.

The suggested workaround is to run 'Ghostro' from DOS prompt but I can't find any *.gho files.

Any further guidance available chaps?

sbtablet
11-12-2007, 01:15 PM
You could try the Norton Ghost website. Perhaps you can download a trial version?

Just a thought. And welcome aboard.

Sharon

ADB
11-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Many thanks for your interest and help Sharon.
Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly.

Ghostro is provided within the recovery disks and I can run it from the DOS prompt. By default it seeks a '*.gho' source image file and there aren't any on the recovery disks.

The standard recovery process (which fails in many and varied ways) appears to use a language DAT file to steer the selection and implementation of appropriate PCX files. Jody (wood0004) suggested Ghostro was the way to go but it's not clear what the image files might be.
Any contributions gratefully accepted. AlanB

sbtablet
11-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Bummer. Hope you get it figured out.