PDA

View Full Version : I noticed that two of the screws labeled F6 on t

jamcgowan
04-07-2005, 03:39 AM
I noticed that two of the screws labeled F6 on the bottom of my TPC were missing [:O] so I decided to replace them. I called National Parts Depot and they wanted $5.66 per screw! [xx(] I think that I'll check around at some of the local hardware stores to see if they have anything that will be comparable before ordering from NPD.

Also, I decided to check the other scrrews and to my amazement, they were all somewhat loose and in need of tightening. You might want to check yours if you have had your M200/205 for a while.

Hope this helps someone...

WNewquay
04-07-2005, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the reminder about that Jim.

I check the screws whenever I get out the compressed air to get the crumbs, dust-mites and cat hair out of the keyboard.

Depending on how preoccupied I am (eating over the keyboard, failing to notice cats sleeping on the keyboard etc.) this could as often as weekly.

Sorry - I'm thinkin' that *that* was too much information.

Wcrocker
04-07-2005, 04:02 AM
The sound you here is everone reading this thread turning their M200 over to check the screws.[thumbsup]

WNewquay
04-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Reminder,

When you turn it over, place the machine down on a soft surface (e.g. a towel NOT at cat), so you don't scratch the top.

Also - be careful you don't yank the power cord laterally. We don't want reports of,
"I busted my power socket lookin' for loose screws".

Thinking of which, there should be plenty of reports about this to come given that so many of us around here seem to have a screw loose.

jamcgowan
04-07-2005, 05:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wcrocker

The sound you here is everone reading this thread turning their M200 over to check the screws.[thumbsup]
I thought that was what I was hearing...[helmet]

The "Buzz" community has been such a blessing and a help to me that I am always trying to think about ways to contribute. If this saves someone from loosing one screw, I will feel I have sucessfully contributed. [unworthy]

BTW, I highly recommend Micro Solutions, Inc. for Toshiba spare parts. They are asking $3.00 for the same screws that National Parts Depot (the outfit that Toshiba sends you to) sells for $5.66 per screw! :P In fact, I purchased their Bluetooth Kit last week and when I called them today about my missing screws (I mean my TPCs missing screws), [:I] they offered to send me what I needed for "FREE". [:X][:X][:X]

It's nice to know that there are companies out there that truly put the customer first. :D

Micro Solutions, Inc.
72 North Street, Suite 101
Danbury, CT 06810
Phone: 203 748 4633
Fax: 203 797 9849
http://www.micsol.com

EMRhelp.org
04-10-2005, 05:33 AM
Wow. And I thought it was just me.
A screw fell out last week (I noticed it fall).
I went to screw it back in and saw 2 other loose ones !

Check People!

$5 a screw ? The screws must be made by the same team that produced the digitizer Pen that breaks seconds after you use it.

KenMagel
04-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Maybe they sell toilet seats to the military?

blink182prj
04-10-2005, 10:26 AM
I had this exact same problem! I lost about 4 screws before I noticed they had all come loose. I'm not sure how this could have possibly happened, but it has. I guess the screws are probably small metric screws which they didn't have at my local hardware store, so I gave up. Seems to hold together OK without the screws, but it is nerve-racking nonethelsss.

krypticide
04-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Not sure if this is exactly related to these screws, but my hinge keeps coming loose. The service center finally fixed it, but now it's gotten loose again. So angry...grrr.

xuanvu
04-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Does any one now the part number for the rubber feet of the M200 so that I can try to find them at Micro Solutions. I'm talking about the "medium" rubber feets at the base of the M200, near the battery base and the SD slot. I've lost both of them.

Thank you,
Kenny.

Wcrocker
04-14-2005, 11:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by xuanvu

Does any one now the part number for the rubber feet of the M200 so that I can try to find them at Micro Solutions. I'm talking about the "medium" rubber feets at the base of the M200, near the battery base and the SD slot. I've lost both of them.

Thank you,
Kenny.

You might want to give this link a look.

Spare Parts Warehouse (http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/Toshiba,Portege,M200-80,PPM20U-0065D4,Laptop,Parts.aspx)

xuanvu
04-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi Wcrocker, thank you for the link... I'm sorry but I don't know what the part is called on that website, can you help me?

Thank you much,
Kenny.

Wcrocker
04-15-2005, 03:40 PM
This is just my best guess here but I think it is the bottom cushion. Give them a call and see what they say.

Image Insert:
http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/uploaded/wcrocker/2005415213955_Capture1.gif
9.82KB

xuanvu
04-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Thanks again Wrocker :)

Kenny.

jamcgowan
04-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Xuanvu,

As a temporary fix, use can use a hot glue gun to make the "feet" you need. This is what I did for the two front rubber feet. It works great.

Edit: From Micro Solutions

There are 3 bottom cushions (rubber footing), 2 in the back corners and 1 in the middle. Part number P000347980. They are $3 each.

There are 2 small bottom cushions, 1 in the left front and 1 on the battery. Part number P000339940. They are $3 each.

There are 6 LCD cushions, 4 along the back of the keyboard, 1 on the left side and 1 on the right side. Part number P000364320. They are $3 each.

There are 3 palm rest cushions along the font edge of the palm rest. Part number P000388210. They are $3 each.

:D

XiXora
04-19-2005, 04:02 AM
well most of the screws from the bottom of my m200 are missing... only like 5 left...
one fell out when i was in bed last night in fact.
never seen anything fall apart like this before!

hopefully may invest in that ibm ( bet it has a rubbish xga tft though )

jamcgowan
04-19-2005, 06:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by XiXora

well most of the screws from the bottom of my m200 are missing... only like 5 left...
one fell out when i was in bed last night in fact.
never seen anything fall apart like this before!

hopefully may invest in that ibm ( bet it has a rubbish xga tft though )
XiXora,

Go on, buy the replacement screws... you'll be glad you did!:D [thumbsup]

msb0b
04-19-2005, 03:18 PM
These are some expensive screws at $3 to $5 a piece.

As long as you can find machine screws with the same thread, length, head and material specs, they will work equally well. Hardware stores may carry them, but there are so many different types that the shopping process is very daunting. When I did some prototype work, I sourced screws from McMaster-Carr catalog. They cost only $1 for a lot of 100.

Additionally, a little bit of threadlocker should keep the screws from working themselves out. Put a drop of Loctite 242 (red bottle, blue liquid, medium strength) on the thread during reassembly. Most hardware stores carry Loctite, but they may be hidden in plumbing section instead of by the fasteners.

jamcgowan
12-08-2005, 05:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by msb0b

These are some expensive screws at $3 to $5 a piece.

As long as you can find machine screws with the same thread, length, head and material specs, they will work equally well. Hardware stores may carry them, but there are so many different types that the shopping process is very daunting. When I did some prototype work, I sourced screws from McMaster-Carr catalog. They cost only $1 for a lot of 100.

Additionally, a little bit of threadlocker should keep the screws from working themselves out. Put a drop of Loctite 242 (red bottle, blue liquid, medium strength) on the thread during reassembly. Most hardware stores carry Loctite, but they may be hidden in plumbing section instead of by the fasteners.

Good Advice . . .

StevenC_in_NYC
03-27-2006, 02:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by jamcgowan

Xuanvu,

As a temporary fix, use can use a hot glue gun to make the "feet" you need. This is what I did for the two front rubber feet. It works great.

Edit: From Micro Solutions

There are 3 bottom cushions (rubber footing), 2 in the back corners and 1 in the middle. Part number P000347980. They are $3 each.

There are 2 small bottom cushions, 1 in the left front and 1 on the battery. Part number P000339940. They are $3 each.

There are 6 LCD cushions, 4 along the back of the keyboard, 1 on the left side and 1 on the right side. Part number P000364320. They are $3 each.

There are 3 palm rest cushions along the font edge of the palm rest. Part number P000388210. They are $3 each.

:D

StevenC_in_NYC
03-27-2006, 02:49 PM
I bought the front feet (Part number P000339940) from National Parts Depot (nationalparts.com). They are now $5.00 each. This discussion site was very helpful because none of the sites selling them explained which foot was which (they just call them Bottom Foot and there is no picture or description even though there are multiple different feet).

Also, Micro Solutions seems to be out of business. Spare Parts Warehouse had the feet, too, but they charged the same $5 with $14.45 for shipping (plus tax) while National Parts was $6.00 less for shipping and no tax (I live in NYC). I couldn't find them anywhere for $3.33.

Thank you.

Steven

JesD
03-27-2006, 05:01 PM
if only I read this thread earlier.....
Got my m400 a few weeks ago....gave my girlfriend my m200 for her school...went to install the BLUETOOTH module...and Im missing 5 screws....damn!!!!!

hoyty
03-28-2006, 01:07 AM
The price for the screws is pretty much set by Toshiba. As an ASP it costs me $2 a piece for them, so the $3 doesn't seem too bad. We have several hundred M200 and they are all losing screws. There was a Toshiba technote on it I thought, but I can't find it now.

spectecjr
04-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Does anyone know the part number/specs for the screws on the National Parts site?

Thanks!

j-stroy
05-04-2006, 04:26 AM
A light guage threadlocker compund will help keep the screws in place (bottom & screen) You can buy it at hardware /autopart stores. There are different strengths depending on your application. It tends to be blue, and no doubt you have seen some on screws before. It "snaps" and the bond is broken when you try to unscrew, but resists vibation etc. just need a drop on the screw when you insert it.