PDA

View Full Version : [eureka] How about putting together a little k

dirkLeas
02-23-2003, 05:18 AM
[eureka]
How about putting together a little knowledgebase for helping folks get a sense of applicability of a TClK for different types of jobs/usage. I started a list. Feel free to comment/agree/disagree based on your experience. I put the assumption of 60% dedicated use in the particular area. For example, if I draw 2-3 doodles a week as a lawyer, I might not care about the pressure sensitivity as I would as a graphics artist.

Applicability by Core Job Function/Usage (60% or more):

* Student - Yes
* Graphic Artist - No
* Software Engineer/Architect/Analyst - Yes
* Programmer/DBA/System Admin- No
* General Home/Internet Surfer - Yes
* Gamer - No
* Consultant/Lawyer/Doctor/etc. - Yes
* Accountant/CPA/Bookkeeper - Yes
* Journalist/Media Professional - Yes
* Truck Driver - Yes

In my estimations, a "No" vote doesn't mean it absolutely wouldn't work, it just means a typical user probably wouldn't find the compromises worthwhile.

Spencer
02-23-2003, 06:27 AM
Good list, and I agree with you on most of them. I do think though that the TC1000 is an ideal machine for programmers. I've said many times how I use it for programming, with the detachable keyboard and all. Visual Studio runs great, especially with an external monitor to add screen space. But I have no problem programming just with the TC1000 screen alone, as the matter of fact most of this site is programmed on my TC1000.

Anyway, that is just my take on the programmer/developer job function as far as the TC1000 goes.

Kupe
02-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Add:

- Sales force member (especially mobile) - YES
- Field analyst (i.e. data collection) - YES

Kupe

TMetzinger
02-23-2003, 01:45 PM
I'd add that while NONE of the tabPCS are gaming machines, the TC1000 is the best of the current lot.

kev452
02-23-2003, 03:54 PM
I would add.
Teacher - LOVE it.
Kevin

Dennis Rice
02-24-2003, 02:17 AM
Somewhere there is a thread that says it is a great tool for a Pilot with added GPS capability ...

Bernard
02-24-2003, 03:52 AM
Hi there,

I'll tell you what I do with it: EVERYTHING!!! (well, almost..)

- I teach my future wife how to use a PC (much more confortable and less stressfull relaxing on a couch than sitting at a desk)
- I enhance the maps I use for flying with paint shop pro. The pen is easier and more precise than the mouse.
- I use it as moving map system connected with a GPS
- I play games with it on the train (action games or strategy games)
- I watch movies (DVD)
- I will not add the microsoft office package or internet which is obvious...
- I take notes at work and transfer them on word (pen office is great AND multilanguage) but this should be obvious too...

OK it is not as powerfull as most new machines are, but if you add the portability of it in the balance it has a definite edge.
Too bad it does not make coffee too though :D

brammerf
02-24-2003, 04:31 AM
I use my Tablet for database administration just fine. There a huge difference between a programmer and a DBA. I do wright code, and need a keyboard for that, but that's only about 5-10% of the job. I can do a lot of what I do with the mouse as I've have a lot of script writen to accomplish regular task. I solved a serious tecnical problem Sunday on the way to church (I have a PCS card with my Motion). It's added much more mobility to my day.